:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Sew-vivor: Challenge #1

The first challenge for Sew-vivor is finished and posted over on Family Ever After! Head on over there to check out what I made and what the other talented girls sewed up!
It was fun to brainstorm ideas for what to make for this challenge. We had to use emerald green in some way, and I luckily had the perfect fabric for it (it looks more green in person than in these pictures)! I knew I wanted to make a simple, flowy top, and the rest of the outfit just came together.
I used a pattern for the top (Butterick 5356) that I have sewn a few times, and I just really love it. It is four pieces that go together easily, and it turns out great every time. I think it is really flattering and super comfortable!
The loose top called for a more structured piece on the bottom, so I made this pencil skirt out of a great leopard print fabric I had on hand. I think the print is so fun, and it really goes well with the simple top. It has a back slit, zipper, hook and eye closure on the waistband, and darts on the front and back to make for a great fit.
Last, I made this purse out of some vinyl that has a really great leather look to it. I've seen a lot of simple leather bags around lately that have really caught my eye, so I gave it a try. The lining is a cute black and white polka dot cotton with a 3 inch band of the vinyl around the top. There are inside pockets on both sides, one pocket on the outside, and a sturdy magnetic closure that holds it all together well. It was not hard to put together, but all the top stitching did take some extra time.  I love how it turned out and I know I'll be using it all the time!

I really had a great time putting this outfit together and completing the challenge. Head over to Family Ever After to vote for your favorite emerald project! Voting goes until Friday at midnight!

I just saw that I earned immunity for this challenge (just by being the lucky 7th person to email my project in!) - so I'll be going through to the next challenge for sure! How exciting! So go vote for some of the other amazing projects!!!

10 comments:

  1. I love this outfit, Cat! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming over from Sewvivor :) Your dress is adorable! congrats on immunity! I spent a while reading through all your archives and pinned some of my favorites, you have great taste and are a talented designer. I am excited to see what you come up with (and hopefully some tutorials?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being #7..How cool is that. Your design is fabulous and your purse is beyond AWESOME!! So I think with our without your #7 you would of totally made it through.. Great job!
    xo
    Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  4. great outfit!! yay for sewviving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting! Those are some amazing sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressive Catlin! Congrats on the competition! Love your talent, and love how you use it! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all of your sewing projects, you are amazing! Best of luck girl, you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love these color combos...what was the skirt pattern? it looks great on y0u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used an old pencil skirt pattern I've had for ages (not sure the name/number) to refer to for the pattern piece shapes and some instructions. But I also used some ideas from different tutorials and made a lot of changes as I went... so it is a mixture of a lot of things! :)

      Delete